I hope this information will make those aging in your family safer and easier. If their home is no longer suited for their needs, give me a call. We can help those in 2-story homes find one floor living as well as get their existing home sold if needed. Parents and Grandparents are always resistant to change, but I have helped a lot of seniors make the transition to one floor living and after the move they were always thrilled.
Home modification and repair includes adaptations to homes for elders that can make it easier and safer to carry out activities such as bathing, cooking and climbing stairs, as well as alterations to the physical structure of the home to improve its overall safety and condition.
Why Is Home Modification And Repair Important?
Home modification and repair can help prevent accidents such as falls. Research suggests that one-third to one-half of home accidents can be prevented by modification and repair.
Home modification and repair can allow elders to remain in their homes. Older people tend to live in older homes that often need repairs and modifications. Over 60% of older persons live in homes more than 20 years old. Home modification and repair can accommodate lifestyle changes and increase comfort.
- Difficulty getting in and out of the shower
- Slipping in the tub or shower
- Difficulty turning faucet handles/doorknobs
- Access to home
- Inadequate heating or ventilation
- Difficulty climbing steps
- Possible Solutions:
- Install grab bars, shower seals or transfer benches
- Place non-skid strips or decals in the tub or shower
- Replace faucet knobs with lever handles
- Install ramps
- Install insulation, storm windows and air conditioning
- Install handrails for support
I’m only a phone call or email away.